Top 5 facts about deforestation
1) A lot of football fields130,000 square kilometers of forests are cut down or burned every year - equivalent to 3 times the area of Denmark. This is equal to clearing a football field every 1.4 seconds.
2) The reason: everyday productsThe main reasons for the loss of forests are production of timber, making room for farming cattle, soy and palm oil. Clearing forests for palm oil plantations is a growing problem. Palm oil is used to produce bio-fuels and cosmetics.
3) Main climate factorThe clearing of forests is a big contributor to global climate change. About 20 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions comes from the clearing of tropical forests.
4) We could be approaching a tipping pointIn the Amazon, the loss of a critical mass of rain forest could trigger further dieback moving the forest into a vicious circle of self re-inforcing destruction.
5) What to do?It is possible to buy forest-friendly products, but it's not always easy tell them apart from those that are not. The Forest Disclosure and the Forest Stewardship Council are working to make it easier. Look for products with their labels!
Error: Access Token is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.
About Eco-CycleEco-Cycle is a young, dedicated and dynamic company focused on continuously finding new and innovative solutions with its Customers and Partners to fulfil its mission and objectives.
Reduce the environmental impact of business, drive conservation and support sustainable community programmes in South Africa.